Ishaan Lalit is a pilot who has been born and brought up in Faridabad. He has traveled to various countries and loves learning about various cultures. He has been writing ever since he was a young boy.
He could have chosen the tested and successful theme of Love Story, but he promised his readers to give something different without compromising with the quality. So he came up with his first novel “Bracelet” which was about people who lead normal lives on the surface, but also have a secret double life. They belong to sects called Tantriks and Artharakshaks. Both these sects are on a quest to find a mysterious bracelet which has the supernatural powers. The story moves back and forth between the dream world and the real one. The pace is breathless and exciting, right up to the finish.
His first book was appreciated for its distinct and articulate topic and this wasn’t the end. Now, Ishaan Lalit is up with his 2nd novel, “Hexagon” which is a Science fiction thriller. It is titled after an ancient six sided device which can transport you to six dimensions. All having their own form of Earth but there is a war brewing on the other side or sides and the main protagonist is stuck in the war.
(1) You are a multifaceted and creative writer who is a gemologist, a pilot and an adventurer. How do you manage all this??
Let’s just say I like variety in life. Ha ha. No actually I have dedicated myself to writing full time.
( 2) You are a better pilot or a better writer?
That one made me laugh! You really can’t compare the both. Piloting the aircraft is a very busy business. You can’t let up for a minute and in stark contrast, in writing you have to be calm and patient. You have to let all your ideas flow through for the next line.
(3) If we talk about Hexagon which is your second novel after the critically acclaimed, “The Bracelet”. How would you describe it to someone who has not read your previous novel?
Get ready for a fast paced rollercoaster ride of Action, Comedy and a hint of Romance.
(4) Let’s talk about the main character of your novel, “Rahul Oberoi”. How it came into existence??
There was a time in my life when Rahul was the only name which I heard in my head. Rahul was a gentleman in wife’s professional circle who she had a difficult relationship with. After all the nagging Rahul stuck in my head and Oberoi came from the hotel operators. I feel oberoi has royal feel to it.
(5) Well you are a young writer in your late twenties. When most of your fellow writers go for Love Stories, you choose a completely different genre i.e. Science Fiction thriller which is not only a difficult genre but also an unusual one for someone of your age?
Come on, we have comic con in Delhi now. You really can’t say sci-fi belongs to an older generation. Everybody likes Batman, Iron Man and Star Wars. I love sci-fi and I decided to do a sci-fi with Indian characters and an Indian background
(6) Few days back I read a status of a young writer, “Love sells but it doesn’t mean you only sell love”. Your take on this?
Smart status! I kind of agree with it. I am not a very big fan of love stories because at the end of a love story it all boils down to two options whether you get the girl or you don’t and that doesn’t really interest me. Why can’t we have three girls and out of which one can be an alien from the planet Uruga. She might even take the main lead back with her.
(7) How do you usually find your ideas?
I don’t know. They just come to me. There is no science behind it. I just get them anytime and it becomes irritating because I have to write them down just then and it doesn’t work when you are at a social meeting or sleeping.
(8) Your Mother Ritu Lalit is an established writer. So how does it helps you?? Do you discuss each other’s work?
My mom and I do read each other’s work and put a few pointers here and there, but we are two very different individual with very different styles of writing. So it is not a lot of help but it sure is good having her than not having her.
(9) It is a coincidence that even her Novel “Hilawi” is going to released in July. Comments
Yes actually it is. Hexagon was supposed to launch in March originally but got delayed and is launching now.
(10) The book is going to be released by Mahaveer Publications who are known for releasing a book with which a common person can relate to. According to the recent comments that the book cover page has got, it is said to have one of the best cover pages ever published by Mahaveer Publication.
Yeah I read that comment and loved it. Hexagon’s cover concept was originally designed by my wife with a lot of inputs by me but then the cover artist gave it another theme but we worked hard at it with collaboration with Mahaveer’s artist and reached a common ground. I am glad everybody likes it.
(11) Is it inspired from any Hollywood Flick??
Ha Ha Ha. No it is not. It is purely original.
(12) You are an avid Traveler. You love exploring new places. Please share some of your experience.
I have had a lot of experiences but the most significant of them would be a recent one. I was in Dubai and was visiting this nice restaurant in a 5 star hotel. I ordered for a Sheesha, one with the most exotic name. When the waiter delivered the sheesha, he came and blabbered on in Arabic for 5 minutes. After which I looked at him blankly and said “Dude I have no idea what you just said.” He looked at me and replied “Then pronounce the Sheesha’s name like a tourist, sir.”
(13) Your advice to young writers?
Keep writing and don’t get bogged down with rejections.